Mosquitoes – Information, Identification, and Extermination
In much of the world, including Staten Island, mosquitoes are a major public health problem capable of spreading several types of encephalitis, dog heartworm, and malaria.
There are several diseases of potential concern to the Staten Island public, pets and other mammals. These include West Nile virus, LaCrosse encephalitis, western equine encephalitis, eastern equine encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis and malaria. Both night and day bites of mosquitoes are common in Staten Island.
In order to develop fertile eggs, only the females of most mosquito species feed on blood. The females of different species prefer different hosts.
Where are Mosquitoes Found?
Hiding and resting places for mosquitos are dark, poorly ventilated and humid places as well as along the edges of dense vegetation. When you think about it, there are many places around Staten Island that offer such environments.
- Potted plants with pans underneath that hold water are good breeding sites;
- Drainage ditches with emergent vegetation are big producers;
- Standing water in low grassy areas;
- Roof gutters plugged with leaves hold water and mosquito larvae;
- Trash or “spare parts” and neglected outdoor appliances have lots of breeding places;
- Old tires; Rain barrels; Unused or poorly maintained pools;
- Water-filled tree holes; Flat roofs; Boats on trailers;
- Birdbaths, barbecue grills, ashtrays and other small containers that hold water.
How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes
At Annihilator Extermination, not only do we kill mosquitos, but we prevent new infestations and populations from growing near you. Our goal is to help protect you and your family from the negative effects and health concerns of Mosquito infestation.
There are a few different things that can be done to pause and undo a mosquito outbreak.
At Annihilator, we do a backyard perimeter treatment to create a barrier around the edge of your property preventing mosquitos from entering.
Our application specialists are able to apply the barrier around the home and backyard. This solution eliminates the insects on contact and will prevent them from entering for months to come.